Saturday, February 11, 2012

AND THE 2012 FANTASY FOOTBALL PLAYER OF THE YEAR WAS....








The Detroit Lions very own Calvin Johnson was named the NFL fantasy player of the year.  This award was based on fantasy points scored and the number of championship teams he was on.

Based on standard Yahoo fractional scoring leagues Calvin Johnson finished the year as the #1 overall WR as Jordy Nelson finished a distant second, and Wes Welker right behind him at third.

#1.  Calvin Johnson   263.20 points
#2   Jordy Nelson     216.30 points
#3   Wes Welker      213.90 points


Calvin was the #15 point scorer OVERALL.

To put that in perspective There where only two running backs ahead of him ( Ray Rice and LeSean McCoy) and the rest were Quarterbacks.  Calvin was easily named to the
ESPN 2011 Fantasy Football All-Pro Team.

The amazing stat I take from this is that Calvin Johnson's Average Draft Position in ESPN leagues was 18.6.  There was not one league I was in were Calvin made it out of the first round.

This award was announced on February 4th 2012.  I wrote this blog  that Calvin Johnson should of been the #1 overall pick this year on January 21, 2012.

VALIDATION.

That is the first word that comes to mind.

It was controversial, unpopular, and an unconventional way to do business when it came to picking a fantasy team.  Traditionally a running back always goes number one.  A quarterback is acceptable at times, but never has a wide receiver been talked about as a #1 pick.  Its rare that a wide receiver even goes in the first round.  That just ludicrous right? 

But never has a wide receiver like this had an impact on the game, and never has a wide receiver like this outscore running backs on a weekly basis.  People in my work league have said that they would give me the #1 pick next year if I take Calvin Johnson.

I told them I would pay them for it because this latest article confirms everything that I believed.

It also confirmed, once again, that I made the biggest fantasy mistake EVER this year not drafting Calvin Johnson.




3 comments:

  1. I would have to agree with you since Calvin Johnson was on the team that beat me this past season. The amount of touchdowns was the most valuable statistic that put him above the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2011-2012 was the first year I've played fantasy football and I happen to have Calvin Johnson in my team. I had very little clue on how fantasy league works but other people in my league are trying to trade me a bunch of people for Calvin Johnson. Good thing I did not let him go because he helped me win a lot of games this season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The question is, who would have had Jordy Nelson as #2 in the preseason???

    ReplyDelete