Saturday, February 25, 2012

Would you draft MJD over MEGATRON?






















Recently on twitter Michael Fabiano was asking to see if anyone had any fantasy questions and he would pick the 10 best ones to answer.  Michael Fabiano is an award-winning fantasy football columnist who serves as the fantasy editor for NFL.com and NFL Network. 


    
Have a fantasy question? Send it to me on Twitter or Facebook, and the 10 best will be answered in Wednesday's... fb.me/1b1josbwU


How High would you take Calvin Johnson this year? With his production last year, would you take him before a running back?


I sent him the above question on Twitter and Facebook.  I wanted to see what running backs he still valued over Calvin Johnson. I was fortunate enough for him to use my question and the answer I got was actually quite surprising.



  
 
Here is this week's Fantasy mailbag on . Thanks for the questions all!:



"How high would you draft Calvin Johnson this year? Would you draft him before a running back? -- Detroit Fantasy Football (via Facebook)

M.F.: Here are the running backs I would take ahead of Johnson -- Arian Foster, LeSean McCoy, Ray Rice and Maurice Jones-Drew. That's about it, at least right now. Ryan Mathews and Matt Forte could join that list at some point this offseason, but those runners come with some risk. Overall, Megatron will be the first wideout taken in most 2012 fantasy drafts (he was the No. 8 overall pick in my most recent mock draft). Coming off a career season that included 96 catches, 1,681 yards and 16 touchdowns, Johnson's fantasy stock has never been higher. As long as Matthew Stafford can remain free of injuries once again, there's no reason to believe Megatron won't continue to post huge totals"


The top three running backs he listed I have no argument against, but what sparked a debate with me was he would actually rate Maurice Jones Drew over Calvin Johnson.  Not only that, he backed it up with his most recent mock draft which went like this:

Round 1
  1. Arian Foster
  2. LeSean McCoy
  3. Ray Rice
  4. Aaron Rodgers
  5. Drew Brees
  6. Tom Brady
  7. Maurice Jones Drew
  8. Calvin Johnson
  9. Matthew Stafford
  10. Cam Newton
 
Last year in a Yahoo Standard fractional scoring league (non PPR), Calvin Johnson and Maurice Jones Drew finished right next to each other, ranked 15 and 16 in scoring overall.

15.  Calvin Johnson           263.20
16. Maurice Jones Drew   262.00

In a Yahoo standard league you have to play three wide receivers and there is no flex position.  In fact, I had never heard of a flex position until ESPN leagues introduced it and started ranking flex plays.  I am also not familiar with NFL standard leagues, so maybe that is why MJD is valued higher.

I do know, however, that NFL.com did award Calvin Johnson  the 2012 fantasy player of the year, and I have already stated that you could make the case for Megatron being the #1 pick last year.

So the debate is on and the question is simple -- when faced with the choice between Maurice Jones Drew and Calvin Johnson,

WHO WOULD YOU TAKE AND WHY?

2 comments:

  1. First, before getting into the question...there is NO WAY I am taking Stafford or Newton in the first round. QB was really deep in 2011, no reason to believe it won't remain that way in 2012. To use a first round pick on a one-year wonder QB (Both Stafford and Newton at this point) is crazy.

    Also, I would actually take Matt Forte over Jones-Drew, so my top 10 would look nothing like that guys.

    All that being said, if it is MJD or Calvin that I am choosing between, I'm taking Megatron - and not thinking twice about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hence why I had Ray Rice and MJD as my backfield...

    ReplyDelete